Thursday 4 June 2015

The Road Trip

To see the world, you have to travel.
& friends make the memories
last a little bit longer.
Last weekend, we embarked  on a road trip.
Me and three of my friends.
Fun people, beautiful souls.
I was behind the wheel
and the wheel felt the love in my hands.
The wheels felt the burnt tarmac
and they seemed to be in a fellowship.
The engine roared and we took off, we soared.
Slowly, through the streets with our woes.
We were going to forget them soon.
I maneuvered around the lights
and we found ourselves on the gracious highway.
Driving through the highways of Atlanta
was overwhelmingly dazzling.
The sun was out
and the green in the trees was striking.
The top was down and the breeze
caressed our faces
leaving us lost in high spirits.
All these cars speeding alongside ours;
where were they going?
Were they on a road trip too?
Nobody knows.
I pulled into a gas station,
several miles away from the high way.
It was the closest one the GPS could find.
It was in an isolated town
and there seemed to be no owner.
I had worked at a service store before
so I knew how to tilt the levels to our favor.
With a full tank,
we headed to the closest liquor store.
My friends thought it better
to stock well before we got crazier ideas.
The day was still young and unmotivated.
It seemed we were up to mischief,
weekend shenanigans.
On our way back, to be honest,
I was a bit tipsy.
Everyone else was drunk to their bones, wasted.
The music was bumping loudly
and we stole a couple of glances, here and there.
We stopped about three times
to drink some more and to stretch and dance.
Dusk was falling rapidly
and I could see the lights blaze in the dusking sky.
Glorious evenings.
I suggested we should get back going
and we hit the road again.
There was too many thoughts
paragliding through my head.
It felt like a floating hot-air balloon
which was having too much hot air blowing into it.
I had caught fire, my arms were trembling!
I was uneasy in my seat and palms of sweat
trickled down my forehead.
I had done this before, I reminded myself.
I tried making jokes to regain my mind,
and would occasionally 
turn back to ask everyone the usual;
"Are we all okay?"  "Had fun?" haha
and as I turned back to face the road,
time froze.
I felt as if I was trapped in a vacuum
and running quickly out of oxygen.
My senses were numb,
mind flashing back years like I was watching a trailer. A fun trailer though.
The brakes were too far for my foot
and the gas pedal was still firmly pressed to the ground.
Everything gave way and
the red light I had missed
flashed into my soul as I heard the impact.
I saw the car crash from the side
and the pieces kept coming at me.
The truck had smashed right into the side
of the car and in seconds,
I felt torn into pieces and dismantled.
Lost.
Intense pain and then silence.
I was in a dark place all of a sudden.
The lights dimmed and I felt for nothing.
My senses were gone and I knew I had left.
I was driving no more,
I was drunk no more.
I was alive no more.

p.s: I still don't know if my friends survived. Please let me know if you run into them before I do. I owe them an apology.

No comments:

Post a Comment