Wednesday 17 June 2015

Petal Plucked

Some summer day in June, 
12:17 (Midnight)

6am, woke up.
Busy days call for ambition
and the early bird catches the worm.
Warm blankets and cold mornings;
warm breakfast and cold milk.
The sun is out as early as it should
and the busy morning streets
remind me that everyone is chasing something.
I pray they catch it, I hope they find it.
The parking lot at work is full, 
and the offices too, full of drama.
You can pick out mild scents of sweat
from the violent mixture of different perfumes.
You smell so good to run your way to work, nice.
And the burnt tobacco stench, too.
It's all we smoke on our little short breaks.
It's Friday and everyone is trying to be friendly,
maybe a little too hard to catch drinks later.
I am past the fun life now,
I'm just trying to make money.
The view from my office space 
is wholly breathtaking.
The board meetings will not let me relish 
in my space most of the times
but I'm still grateful, always been.
A couple of errands to run after work.
It's creepy how things get messy.
So many little responsibilities.
Like you were never born for fun.
Ha! Find humor in these situations,
it gets priceless.
Drop my daughter to class for dance practice,
I wait for her, parked in the alley behind the school.
I'm tired so I recline my seat and nap,
awake though, checking my watch oft.
I must have been taken away,
because I was woken up by loud noises.
An angry mob was outside,
with stones, baying for my blood.
Lord, this is a good dream!
I must have laughed at myself for 
letting myself sleep too much.
It was a short laugh as the first stone
smashed my window.
They were asking me to step out from the car.
I was so confused I stepped out to my own death. And on time, too.
The first throw had me sprawling on the ground, blood gushing furiously from my head.
I did not think myself a Goliath
and the man who threw the rock 
definitely did not look a David.
I must have passed out a little later
as the thousands other blows 
landed on my rather unresponsive body.
I had not said a proper goodbye 
to my little princess and her mum;
I wailed.
But could barely feel my tears.
I was torn, tarnished,
left unplucked.


June 15th 1993
12:17 (Midnight)

We had had cases of violence in our streets.
We had heard of kidnappings, rape,
drugs and a lot of murders going on
recently.
Recently had we re-elected 
the same people we had sworn not to.
They were doing exactly what they had done before, nothing.
And this same nothing was killing us.
Destroying our sons, defaming our daughters
and robbing us of our peace.
We were pissed. Someone had to act.
Someone had to come to our rescue 
and bring back our girls.
These dirty hands of crime always came
to the safest and nicest neighbourhoods
to infiltrate our well-being,
far away, where the long arm of the law
would never bend toward.
We were safe until now.
So, today we decided to take matters into our hands
and wipe away the stains, our way.
Our first suspect was at the right place
right when we expected him to.
Always in the dark
waiting for the small girls to 
head home from dance practice.
He had used a nicer car this time.
Is he getting this money from where I think he is??
Wow. These people. 
They even threatened a mum once and 
took away her daughter while she lay down facing dirt.
The cowards were using a gun.
She was sobbing, she must have been terrified.
And now they think they can do it again.
Things have changed around here,
I hoped they knew..
The old dog had learned new skills, new tricks.
We surprised him, he was asleep.
The hunter who sleeps on the hunt
is pranced on by his prey. He must have forgot.
He stepped out as though innocent 
but my eye was fixed on his head 
and the evil intentions dancing in it
and I hurled my stone, first,
straight to his head, fast.
"He who has no sin"
It pushed me aback
but I was doing this for a good cause.
This madness has to stop.
We will not let our little girls get raped,
and watch their futures get destroyed!
I joined in the mob and our job 
was done in a few minutes.
He must not have fought hard
because he knew 
he was paying for his shortcomings.
The wages of sin. 
We left an anonymous letter addressing the 
mayor and our councillor saying:
"We will keep plucking"



No comments:

Post a Comment